Blue fish is a popular saltwater game fish that are often caught in great quantity. Cooked up fresh they are delicious, but after freezing they tend to get a fishy flavor from the oils in the fish. To over come this, we brine the defrosted blue fish filets and then smoke them. The brining helps remove the oily flavor and infuses the filets with enough moisture so they smoke to perfection.
Makes 6 servings
- 4 to 5 lbs. of Blue Fish filets
- 1 pouch of Hi Mountain Seasonings Gourmet Fish Brine
- 1 gallon of ice water
- Hi Mountain Gourmet Fish Seasoning
- Hi Mountain Trail Dust
- Hi Mountain Smokehouse Cans (optional)
- Chill the filets before curing.
- Using a non-metallic container, dissolve Hi Mountain Seasonings Gourmet Fish Brine in the ice water. Add the filets to the brine, making sure the filets are completely covered. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat your smoker or grill to 180 degrees. Remove fish from the brine, rinse and pat dry with paper towel.
- Coat a cooking rack with a non-stick spray, place the filets on the rack and season with Hi Mountain Gourmet Fish Seasoning and Trail Dust.
- Place the rack of seasoned fish into your preheated smoker or grill and increase the heat to 200 degrees. Smoke the filets until they have an internal temperature between 155 & 165 degrees.
- Remove from heat and let cool before serving.