Note on smoking: a mild wood like apple wood is best for this venison recipe
- 1 hindquarter venison roast (2 to 3 lbs)
- 1/2 packet Hi Mountain Gourmet Fish Brine
- 4 cups water
- Hi Mountain Venison Rub
- 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary
- olive oil
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Hi Mountain Zesty Western Burger Seasoning
- Trim off any silver skin from the venison hindquarter.
- Prepare the Hi Mountain Gourmet Fish Brine and add the venison hindquarter to the brine. Refrigerate 24 hours.
- After refrigerating the venison roast in brine for 24 hours, remove the roast, rinse in cold water. Soak the roast in water for 45 minutes, changing the water once.
- Pat dry the roast with paper towels and air dry on a cutting board for 1 hour.
- Coat the roast with olive oil and liberally cover all sides of the roast with Hi Mountain Venison Rub. Place the sprigs of rosemary on top of the roast.
- Preheat smoker or pellet grill to 200 degrees F.
- Set the roast in the pellet grill or smoker and cook the roast until the internal temperature 110 degrees F.
- Increase the heat of the pellet grill or smoker to 350 degrees F. and continue cooking until the internal temperature 130 degrees F.
- Remove the roast from the smoker and let it rest on a cooling rack for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- While the roast is resting, mix the mayonnaise and Zesty Western Burger Seasoning in a serving bowl.
Note: Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal cooking temperature has reached 130F.