- 2 skinless wild turkey breasts
- 1 packet Hi Mountain Seasonings Game Bird and Poultry Brine Kit
- Hi Mountain Seasonings Rib Rub
- 1 apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, peeled and cubed
- 4 tbsp butter, in 4 1-tbsp slices
- olive oil
- Mix one pouch of Hi Mountain Seasonings Game Bird and Poultry Brine with 1 gallon of water in a non-metallic bowl.
- Add 6 cups of ice to the brine.
- Place the brine bag in a large pot and add the turkey breasts in the brining bag breast side down.
- Pour the brine mixture over the turkey.
- Place the turkey breasts in the refrigerator to brine for 24 hours.
- Remove the turkey breasts from the brining bag, rise under cold, running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Air dry the turkey breasts for at least 30 minutes.
- While the turkey breasts are air drying, cube the peeled apple and onion.
- Lay the turkey breast flat on a cutting board. With a sharp knife held parallel to the board, cut a pocket into the turkey breast leaving a section uncut - like a hinge - on the thicker side of the breast.
- Stuff half of the cubed apple and onion inside the pocket of the first turkey breast and season the mixture with Hi Mountain Seasonings Rib Rub.
- Place 2 1-tbsp slices of butter on top of the apple/onion cubes inside the turkey breast pocket.
- Fold the turkey breast over to seal the pocket.
- Brush both sides of the turkey beast with olive oil and season all sides of the turkey breast with Hi Mountain Seasonings Rib Rub.
- Repeat with the second turkey breast.
- Preheat a wood pellet grill that has a smoke/grill option to 200 degrees.
- Smoke the turkey breasts for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes of smoking, increase the heat to 350 degrees and continue grilling until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the turkey breasts from the grill and let them rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
A meat thermometer is an essential tool for this recipe.