- 1 turkey (12-18 lbs), fresh or defrosted
- 1 Hi Mountain Seasonings Game Bird and Poultry Brine
- 1 large turkey brining bag
- 1 cup bourbon
- 8 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- Mix one pouch of Hi Mountain Seasonings Game Bird and Poultry Brine with 1 gallon of water in a non-metallic bowl.
- Add 6 cups of ice to the brine.
- Place the brine bag in a large pot and add the turkey in the brining bag breast side down.
- Pour the brine mixture over the turkey.
- Place the turkey in the refrigerator to brine for 24 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brining bag, rise under cold, running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Add 2 cups of water to the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Roast the turkey for 30 minutes.
- While the turkey is roasting, combine the brown sugar, bourbon and butter in a small saucepan.
- Heat this mixture on low until the butter and the brown sugar melt. Remove from heat.
- After the 30 minutes of roasting, reduce the heat to 325 degrees and brush the turkey with some of the glaze.
- Continue roasting and brushing the turkey with the glaze every 15 minutes until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the turkey for the oven and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving and serving.
A meat thermometer is an essential tool for this recipe because cooking time will vary depending on the size of the turkey and the performance of your oven.