Blue Fish is great if eaten fresh, but once you freeze it, the flavor intensifies. We're always looking for new ways to cook strong-flavored fish like blue fish or mackerel. So we decided to make fish jerky. Hi Mountain Seasonings has variety of flavors and we picked Cracked Pepper 'N Garlic Blend to make this batch of fish jerky.
Makes 6 servings
- 4 to 5 lbs. frozen Blue Fish filets
- Hi Mountain Cracked Pepper 'N Garlic Blend Jerky Kit
- Hi Mountain Alder Orange Peel Smokehouse Can (if using a smoker)
- Thaw frozen blue fish filets and slice filets into strips.
- Weigh the fish and refer to the instructions included with the Hi Mountain Jerky Kit to determine the proper amount of seasoning cure per pound. Mix the seasonings in the shaker bottle included with the kit and follow the instructions for seasoning/curing.
- Once the curing process was complete we decided to use an air fryer oven for this batch of blue fish jerky. Spray the racks with non-stick cooking spray and arrange the cured blue fish strips on the racks. Set the cooking temperature to 160 degrees and the time for 2 hours.
- Depending on the thickness of the fish strips, it will take between 2 and 2 1/2 hours to be done. The end result is a great tasting fish jerky!
Note: You can also use a smoker to cook up this jerky, if you do we recommend using a mild flavored wood like Apple or Alder to smoke the fish jerky.